NX100 Controller with ES165N robot brake issue

• Greetings,

I'm getting an alarm AL-1218 (B_ON Relay Sticking) when I power the NX100 Controller with the robot. I looked up the error in the manual and the sub code of the error was showing in PLD circuit 2 of the NIF01 board. Now I checked all the relays on the NIF01 board, but I can't find any bad relays. I applied 24VDC to each relay and checked the resistance on all the relays, and they were all measuring correctly under an ohm. Is this brake relay found in another portion of this controller setup?

• Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

Does anyone have an answer to my question? Could there be something wrong with the PLD circuit that the alarm is pointing towards?

• No worries......
    - I wish I could assist further but have no experience with these systems.
    - What I can ascertain from a brief look at the NIF01 board, it appears this is the main interface for the complete system including dual channel safety circuits - PLD 1 and PLD 2 may relate to the safety circuits.
    - Therefore I can only hazard a guess that one of these channels could be short circuited (ie a mismatch in dual channel status - one of the channels may have failed)....
    - I would definitely check the integrity of external safety devices (e/stops, cabling and connections etc - with the power off obviously)

As I mentioned, I have no experience and maybe completely wrong.........there are plenty of experienced Yaskawa/Motoman users here who will undoubtedly be able to assist you further.

• Thanks for the info, I'll look and see if there are any problems with the cables. I also noticed that I get an alarm AL-1211 (Safe Circuit Input Fault) related to the DSW signal, which is the deadman switch on the teach pendant. This alarm only occurs when I press the deadman switch, but first error doesn't clear. I'm not sure if this is also a part of the first alarm that I get?

• Hmmm.....Interesting, I see the Teach Pendant (from block diagrams) has a connection to the NIF01 - which may well be linked with the 1218 error (especially as the alarm no's are very close to each other).
    - I certainly think an alternative Teach Pendant (if that can easily be done) is worthwhile swapping over which would rule in/out the Teach Pendant and connecting harness.

Again, I hope I'm not leading you down an incorrect path here with my lack of product experience, but certainly seems like a logical troubleshooting area considering the Teach Pendant fault you mentioned.

• I checked the teach pendant cable and tried a different teach pendant, but the alarm still remains. I've been trying to find this B_ON brake relay while looking at the elementary diagrams, but it doesn't seem like it's in the NIF board. Could this brake relay be in the NTU board? I would assume so because that's where the brake output connector is at.

• Hi

Well all is pointing that you will need to repleace the NIF board or Power supply, the cause could be electrical noise from the power supply or when sticking of overheated relay circuit wire is detected. Wich can cause alarm 1218 or 1211.
    Regards.

Hero for fun, I'll help you when I'm bored.

• I don't think the issue is electrical noise. If it was, I'd assume that I would get a lot more alarms. I did some troubleshooting to see if I can isolate the problem, which seems to be in the NIF01 board. I took the relays out of the circuit board to see what other alarms would occur, and got alarms 1214, 1215, 1216 (PBESP, PPESP, EXESP relay sticking). All these alarms were showing up in PLD1 and PLD2 circuit. I have experience with repairing electronics, so I think the fault is a bad photocoupler that needs to be replaced.

• Hey guys, I'm still having issues with my system that hasn't been solved yet. Before I start spending money on an expensive NTU or NIF module, maybe I could get some verification of some strange things that I encountered. I noticed that when I push the E-Stop button on the teach pendant, it sounds like there's a delay in the dual safety relays switching off in the NIF module. Can anyone confirm that there's supposed to be delay like this with a working NX100 cabinet? If not, then could there be a problem with the CPS-420 power supply?

Advertising from our partners