profinet krc4 as controller plc as device

• Hi All,

KR C4
    KSS v8.2.2
    Profinet KRC-Nexxt v2.2.9
    Workvisual 3.0.8

I am trying to configure the communication between a KR C4 and a Siemens plc over Profinet. I would like the KRC4 to be the controller(master) and the S7 as IO device (slave). It is my first time using profinet I was wondering if you could help me clarify a few things.

Do the optional packages I have available (profinet krc nexxt) support the config (robot as controller, plc as device)? The KUKA Profinet manual mentions

“There are two option CDs for PROFINET:
    KUKA.ProfiNet Controller / Device: includes PROFINET IO Controller, PROFINET IO Device and ProfiSafe Device
    KUKA.ProfiNet Device: includes PROFINET IO Device and ProfiSafe Device.”

Does KRC-nexxt support Profinet Controller?( Kuka send me download link for an installer it just says krc nexxt.)

2. In workvisual when configuring Profinet if robot is controller.
    What I have been doing is the following.

Expand hardware tab, set active controller
    Expand bus structure, add profinet node
    In the profinet settings, set network adapter
    In profinet device list and profinet names check whether plc is present (ip and name were already set in Siemens Tia)

Here is where it becomes unclear to me and I believe I might be missing something.

In hardware tab add device to profinet IO
    Set device IP, subnet mask and name
    Under profinet settings, activate profinet device stack, set nr of IO, name
    Under available devices the PLC is visible but with following error
    The device was configured in the Profinet project but could not be found in the network

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

• any fieldbus always requires some setup. most settings are done on Master/Controller. when interfacing to PLC, master/controller is usually PLC but it does not have to be - if tech package you purchased allows robot to work to as Controller. regardless which side is controller, controller will need electronic datasheet for the slave. if PLC is controller, you can get device description files from WoV directory on your laptop. if Robot is controller, you need to get GSDML file for your PLC into DTM catalog of WoV. each teach package (including ProfiNet) comes with manual and examples.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• that is correct...

if your Profinet version can work as controller, it can act as both controller and device (master/slave) simultaneously:

* you can still have KRC act as a master to non-safe devices (gripper, etc) .

* as far as safety is concerned, KRC must be a ProfiSafe device(slave) and PLC must be controller (master).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners