Suggestions for Kuka motor and drive purchase?

• Hello to all:

My organization has a used KR-30/2 robot and an accompanying KRC-1 control cabinet. I am very interested in adding a seventh axis to act as a rotary table for carving. Can someone suggest a used Kuka motor and the accompanying Kuka servo drive I should buy for this purpose? I would think it doesn't need to be a big motor, the axial load of a small square plywood surface with a foam block spinning at a very slow speed shouldn't be that taxing.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :icon_mrgreen:

• Adding a 7th axis to a KRC-1 may be a very difficult task. Unless this controller was already configured for 7 axes, you'll probably have to replace the PM1 module with a 7- or 8-axis version, and obtain the supporting wiring harnesses. Finding the parts for a controller that old may take some work, and I doubt it'll be cheap.

Beyond that, it's going to depend on the speed, inertia, load, etc. Really light loads might be able to go directly on the shaft of one of the mid-size motors, but some of the smaller motors would probably require some sort of gear box. Binding directly to the drive shaft of the motor will reduce your motion resolution, as well, so you'll want to work out the math for what level of fine control you require, and work backwards from there.

Just about any KUKA servo will work with any KRC, although you will have to look out for issues of current draw and connector size.

• Neeboy, I'm looking to do the same thing...though I already have extra ksd-16/32s. I'm just going to use same servo motors that are on the robot already. What's your plan for making the rotary table? Planetary gearbox with hub? Direct drive? I'm wondering what people have used for gearboxes (ratios, brand) to make turntables that have turned out well. If that's information anyone is willing to share.

I think we are trying to do the same thing, large z axis sculptural milling.

My goal is to make one large table with the rotary table resting inside of the flat table. I will have a riser block I can take on/off when needed.

• Currently working out this issue for a KR120. Our spindle reach is very limited without a turntable. Our cabinet has the 7th/8th axis option. Looking to use the planetary assembly out of a spare transfer case. Have been searching for the correct servo for use with the KRC4. Pulled the data off a KUKA MGU. That's a 1FK7100, $2500.00 new from Kuka, used is a $1000 from Poland. My concern is setting up the the 7th axis kinematic with the planetary ratio. There is parallel thread where Panic Mode mentions that the entire setup will have be be fine tuned with an oscilloscope.

Edited once, last by gigante ().

Advertising from our partners