Do I need DCS by Law?

• In the U.S, is it by Osha/ANSI RIA standard that if the robot can contact a fence, that the robot must have DCS?

Also, does it change anything if the programmed path is nowhere near a fence or pinch point?

Edited once, last by ESIELI ().

• RIA standards state that the robot MUST have at least 18 inches of room between a fixed object and the robot.(The moving part of the robot)
    If you cannot design a fence and the robot hard stops to achieve this then it is permissible to use DCS.

• RIA standards state that the robot MUST have at least 18 inches of room between a fixed object and the robot.(The moving part of the robot)
    If you cannot design a fence and the robot hard stops to achieve this then it is permissible to use DCS.

So what if the robot cannot defeat the barrier if it crashed?

I have seen sooo many new robot cells, including the ones I have made lately that can contact a fence if programmed to, but on it's normal path never comes close to one.

• and for the record, I would gladly add DCS, but on these RJ3 controllers, it's not an option.

So, I don't have the software capability, I don't have the floor space, What are my options from there?

I can't use safety floor scanners because people have to walk by them often.

• This doesn't apply to older installations. If you are installing newer robotic systems they must meet this spec.
    If you have done systems that do not meet this then you and your company can be held liable in an injury!

• and for the record, I would gladly add DCS, but on these RJ3 controllers, it's not an option.

So, I don't have the software capability, I don't have the floor space, What are my options from there?

I can't use safety floor scanners because people have to walk by them often.

On older controllers you would use safety rated cam switches on the major axis to limit the robot's reach. For example, you would have a J1 and J2 cam that states the robot is only allowed to extend J2 at certain areas on J1.

Balluff is one manufacturer of said cam switches. Here is a link to their product page.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• On older controllers you would use safety rated cam switches on the major axis to limit the robot's reach. For example, you would have a J1 and J2 cam that states the robot is only allowed to extend J2 at certain areas on J1.

Balluff is one manufacturer of said cam switches. Here is a link to their product page.

Thanks for the link. I don't know if that would work here either.

What I'm not sure about if the Max operational distance of the robot must be protected. well what happens if the robot is mastered wrong? You can't safety rate the guy doing that. So now the robot is as good without the DCS option.

Advertising from our partners