Collision detection

• Hello,
    I need some help please with collision detection.
    I have an application to manipulate a part. If you take a look at images you will understand my problem.
    The pin should enter inside the "channel"(I don'tknow the word in english).

This is the motion to that position, is around 1,5 cm long.

;FOLD LIN CH_120 Vel=0.05 m/s H Tool[12]:Gripper_CH_Full Base[0] CD;%{PE}%R 8.3.32,%MKUKATPBASIS,%CMOVE,%VLIN,%P 1:LIN, 2:CH_120, 3:, 5:0.05, 7:H
    $BWDSTART=FALSE
    LDAT_ACT=LH
    FDAT_ACT=FCH_120
    BAS(#CP_PARAMS,0.05)
    TQM_FIFO_READ(TM3)
    TRIGGER WHEN DISTANCE=0 DELAY=0 DO iTQM_TRIGGERID=3
    TRIGGER WHEN DISTANCE=0 DELAY=0 DO TQM_START_MON(TM3) PRIO = -1
    TRIGGER WHEN DISTANCE=1 DELAY=0 DO TQM_SWAP_VALUES(TM3) PRIO = -1
    LIN XCH_120
    ;ENDFOLD

DECL TQM_TQDAT_T TM3={T11 7,T12 17,T13 11,T14 26,T15 55,T16 26,T21 2872,T22 4392,T23 1726,T24 1241,T25 2214,T26 2656,K1 303,K2 301,K3 305,K4 305,K5 319,K6 314,O1 5,O2 5,ID 3,OVM 30,TMF 1.00000}

Using the KCP ,I modified the torgue and impact at 5.

The controller doesn't react with collision but after 60 sec I got the message "Current overload after 60sec (A5). (HoldingCurrent)". $torg_diff[5]=75. I tried in T2, 30% velocity.
    I want to detect the rotation of pin with collision detection and to stop the process.
    THank you!

• please consider Kuka training or at least read system integrator manual. setting collision detection to true when inserting inline form instruction is only the first step. it does not work yet.

to make it work you need to:
    1. write program (writing includes setting ColisionDetection flag),
    2. test program motions in T1
    3. deactivating CD
    4. running program in auto few times at 100% and only THEN:
    5. activate collision detection.

besides there is several things that prevent CD. finally, detecting collision means something bad happened and will stop robot.

why don't you use sensor?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you Panic for you answer.

I set the collision detection True using the inline form for each motion.
    I tested the program in T1
    I deactivated the CD
    To calculate the values I ran the program in T2 at 100% 3-4 times. In the manual says that the values are calculated.
    I activated the CD on KCP and PLC.
    And then I created the collision test using T2, only 30% velocity to have time for reaction.
    I read that CD also works in T2.
    When I ran the program, in the CD windows there was a green square for TM.
    And is to late to use a sensor...
    I will try with ext mode maybe it will be a difference

• if you run program 3-4 times at 100 to establish baseline and compute tolerances, it only makes sense to also run program at same speed.
    if you end up reducing it to 30%, it will never detect collision. you MUST use same velocity for baseline and for actual run....

why not use sensor?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• to make it work you need to:
    1. write program (writing includes setting ColisionDetection flag),
    2. test program motions in T1
    3. deactivating CD
    4. running program in auto few times at 100% and only THEN:
    5. activate collision detection.

What happens if I want to pack several types of products with the robot, but in such a way that I use one program for the combined products, since the products only differ in size.

As I understand it, the program should be run 2-3 times in auto so that the robot can analyze the load and the resulting torques.

However, if I use the same program with different parameters(would like to produce different product), then the load and thus the torques will also be different, which means that you would have to analyze it again for each type. Is there any proven method that is used for this type of problem?

• Collision detection in most robots really sucks.

That they can't actually predict the amount of force needed for a movement, well being used to abb's i will never understand this.

My normal use cases was products with different sizes and densities, even where they were to be picked in the tool.

So adding this to the tool load, and letting the ABB run with standard coldetect settings, nothing bad would ever happen in case the product sucked.

It also wasn't unusual to have something like 3000 different permutations, but only have the heaviest, longest/ shortest 4-5 types when testing.

So the solution, like panic suggests, More sensors, and make sure no collision occurs, because actually setting up collision detection needs a very locked program/payload/speed structure.

This kind of negates the very usefull ability of robots to adapt to new products, but there you go

Advertising from our partners