Z Series Robot not responding in some directions.

• Hello All,

Newbie to this forum, please bear with me.
    Z series robot has been in storage for a while. When it is powered up I get a low voltage encoder battery warning, I clear this and when in teach mode it is only moving some axis in one direction. JT1 goes positive, nothing from JT2, JT3 goes negative, etc etc. with only JT6 responding in both directions.
    I have ordered a new battery for the arm, is this all that is causing the problem? Or something else all together?

ZX200S D series controller.

Thankyou in advance..

• Problem sorted!!

Re zeroed it in its current position, that was no way near zero, it now all moves as it should do. Aligned all the scribe marks and zeroed properly. It was obviously against the end stops it though were there. Rookie error, told you I was new to this.

• All rookies have to start somewhere, what you did is correct......well done.

Just give you a little background on your problem and future prevention.
    The encoder battery powers the encoders when the system is completely turned off.

When this warning appears, the battery is now too low to power all of the encoders correctly.
    This can cause one or multiple encoders to provide incorrect values.
    Therefore it is paramount not to turn the system off for any length of time without knowing the condition/age of the encoder battery.
    Whilst the system is on, the encoders are powered by the system, and not battery, therefore ALL encoder values would be correct.
    The first instance of this warning, you should NOT power the system off for any length of time exceeding approx. 30mins, but should replace the battery immediately.

If the battery is too low.....and the system has been powered down for too long......
    Easiest way to tell is look at the axis data monitor screen or type 'where' via the keyboard.
    - Usually you will see one or more joints displaying ridiculous values relative to the current location eg.thousands of degrees - .
    As each joint has a mechanical/software limitation already set, this will mean the joint position has exceeded either the negative/positive limit, therefore only allowing you to jog the joint(s) in one direction only.

The battery should only ever be replaced when the system is OFF - (safety).
    You have approx. 30 mins to replace the battery when the system is turned off.
    Do not power off the system UNTIL you are in a position to replace the battery, as you are already aware, the battery exchange is very quick.

Also for your information on the C/D/D+ Controllers.
    Inside the controller is another battery (single cell for D/D+, double cell for C) located on either 1KA (D Con) or 1RA (D+ Con) or side of card rack (C Con) for the User Data (programs etc), this is called the RAM Battery.
    This also requires periodic replacement and is indicated by a RAM Battery Warning.
    Simple replacement is - filesave, power off, replace battery, power on and confirm.

Usually replace both at the same time.....

Advertising from our partners