external motor for kuka

• Dear all,

i have an external motor, MG 464 KSP40, KSS 8.3.13
    the motor is installed, configured as E1 and moving as well.
    but what i get is deg. data, and if i want it to move 100mm it's move 100deg
    where i can change it, so it will move 100mm as i needed, and which data i need to look for, so it will work.
    thank in advance for all who can help

• There's a $MACHINE.DAT setting for defining an Axis as Rotary, Linear, or Endless (rotary). For KSS 8.x, it'll be part of the settings under the External Axis Editor, but you have to dig for it in different places, depending on what version of WorkVisual you're using.

• I have a similar set up with an external rotary table.

I need the table to be able to rotate to large values and always take absolute positions.

The two axis choices I can see are Rotary and Endless.

Endless will allow many rotations but will always move relatively, so a move of +190 degrees will actually result in a move of -170 degrees which is no good for me.

Rotary will move absolutely but will only move between limits of +/- 360 where as I need it to continue past this.

Does anyone know of a way of setting the axis so that it can rotate infinitely and also move absolutely.

Thank you.

• Hi,

use relative spline movements. These use the given axis value shift.

SPTP {E1 0}
    SPTP_REL {E1 +190}

will no longer drive E1 to -170 but to +190. On the other hand absolute splines still use positions modulo 360.

SPTP {E1 0}
    SPTP {E1 +190}

will still run E1 to -10.

Fubini

Edited once, last by Fubini ().

• Hi Fubini,

Thank you for your reply, I did not think of that.

However I am using robotmaster as a post processor and that is fixed as using PTP and LIN moves.

Is there a way with using PTP and LIN moves to get absolute movement and large rotations?

Thanks

• For non-Spline PTP and/or LIN there is no direct way of doing this. You would have to divide in substeps with each step moving less then 180 deg.

PTP_REL {E1 179}
    PTP_REL {E1 179}
    PTP_REL {E1 179}

I have seen people ssetting up rotatory axes as linear axes to avoid this problem.

Fubini

Edited once, last by Fubini ().

• Hi Fubini,

I have set up a dynamic frame for my rotary table, so that when I rotate the table in Base space the tool of the robot will follow a fixed point on the table.

If I change my table to linear and then rotate the table I see my tool move up and down in a straight line.

To me that seems to imply that the robot thinks the table is a linear axis when set as linear, which makes sense.

Is there a way, with the axis set as linear, to tell the robot the dynamic frame is rotating rather than moving in a straight line.

Thanks

Jack

Advertising from our partners