Pause command

• I have used the 'Abort' instruction to stop and exit a TP routine. What does the 'Pause' instruction do in comparison? I assume the routine will pause, but for how long? do I need to use another instruction to resume the routine?

Thanks

• The PAUSE command is useful within a program intended to be run in T1 Teach (manual) mode, not in Automatic mode.
    Whenever a technician executes a program intended for T1 mode, he or she will often do so in single STEP mode. The PAUSE command is useful to stop the program at important parts, even if the technician forgets to switch to STEP mode, and so is operating manually and also continuously.

Here is an example: The technician is required to execute a program to check the tool's vacuum cup distances once per day, and in Teach (manual) mode. The robot tool has several vacuum cups. He or she must take a reading each time the vacuum cup bears upon the distance-measuring device.

By using the PAUSE command, the technician may execute this program in continuous mode instead of STEP, being assure that the robot will stop moving when it is time to take the reading. When the reading is done, simply re-initiate execution of the program with SHIFT+ForWarD.

The PAUSE instruction precludes Production in AUTO mode. The PAUSE instruction works in T2 mode, but no person should ever be near the robot's working envelope in T2 mode for safety reasons.

• A more careful look at the difference between PAUSE and ABORT.

Every TP program and Macro (which is a kind of TP program) has the same instruction on its very last line, [END]

The [END] instruction is a program command. The [END] command tells the scanning cursor, "go back to the routine who called you, and then go down one line." Although [END] exists at the bottom of every Teach Pendant program, it can also be called conditionally. You can CALL an END. Either way, [END] does the same thing, as described above.

If a program has been aborted, and then the [END] instruction is scanned, the program cursor will go to the top of the same program that it is already in. In other words, an ABORT, however it happens, makes the [END] instruction "forget" what to do. The scan will get stuck in the loop, having forgotten the calling program and its program order stack.

Advertising from our partners