[DONE] Cognex Insight and KRC4

• Hi ,all

I have a application that using a cognex insight camera to allocate the robot position.

I have two question:

1) I search the docs&parts CD, only find a package named "VisionTech",but it only said work with "KUKA MXG20 cameras" . Could it works with Insight ?
    2) Is there any library for Cognex Insight and KRC4 communication ? or I must write the codes myself?

Thanks!

KUKA Conntroller : _________<br />KSS Software : ____________ <br />Robot Model: _____________

Edited once, last by irobot ().

• There was a TP for using Cognex cameras directly from the KCP for KRC2s. I don't know if it's been ported to KRC4s yet. The communications aren't an issue, but integrating the Insight API and display into the pendant would be a chore.

• Kuka.Vision is name for tech package used on KRC2 when working with "smart" cameras (Insight5000 series).

On KRC4 there are two very different packages:
    Kuka.VisionCom - if you are using "smart" cameras (on-board processing) such as Insight 5000 series
    Kuka.VisionTech - if you are using "dumb" cameras (processing done in VisionPro running on KRC4)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• So, the VisionCom is for smart camera, and VisionTech is PC based ?

But it's strange, the Docs CD-ROM do not have the VisionCom :hmmm:

KUKA Conntroller : _________<br />KSS Software : ____________ <br />Robot Model: _____________

• take it or leave it... :angel:

it may have been depreciated (I only saw glimpse of manual for KSS8.2).
    at least now you know what to talk about when you call your Kuka guy.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• Hello PanicMode and Skyfire,
    I did not find VisionCOM for KSS 8.3. Can you please tell how to integrate KSS 8.3 with Cognex smart camera? I would appreciate if you could give me Cread Cwrite code in case visionCOM is not available for 8.3! Thanks in advance !

• [size=2]To get VisionCom contact Kuka... it comes with manual and explains setup.[/size]

[size=2]Another option is to go without VisionCom, use EthernetKRL to talk to camera directly. [/size][size=small]Downside here is that there is no documentation or guides to get you started. [/size][size=small]Another one is that you will not see image on teach pendant.[/size]

[size=2]both cases use Ethernet connection since there is no RS232 support on KRC4 so CREAD/CWRITE do not work for this.[/size]

[size=2]One can of course consider some field-bus too but ... whatever you select must be available both on camera and on KRC.[/size]

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello PanicMode and Skyfire,
    I did not find VisionCOM for KSS 8.3. Can you please tell how to integrate KSS 8.3 with Cognex smart camera? I would appreciate if you could give me Cread Cwrite code in case visionCOM is not available for 8.3! Thanks in advance !

What model of Cognex? What I/O bus options do you have on your KRC4?

Most Cognex InSight cameras can be controlled via Telnet commands, which the KRC4 can emulate if it has EthernetKRL installed. It's also possible to set up most of the newer InSight cameras to use ProfiNet or Ethernet/IP, so you could also use one of these if you have it installed on the KRC4.

You'll have to create your own program-level interface, by setting up Input and Output cells in the InSight program that are mapped to specific bus bytes on the robot end, but it's all technologically feasible.

CREAD/CWRITE won't be a factor, since (as Panic pointed out) you can't use RS-232.

• Here I am, Thanks for your inputs on this,
    I am finally able to communicate with Cognex insight Smart camera with KSS 8.3 using version VisionCOM 2.0 (officially released for KSS 8.2 but even though working fine now with 8.3). The only difference is that i will not be able to see the camera image live from smartpad (Menu > Display > VisionCOM viewer), but nevertheless used Cognex Insight software (free) to check live image. Running smoothly.
    :dance2:

• For this topic, i have had several tests before and below you can find my simple summary:
    1.For Cognex industrial camera, only TCP/IP or UDP protocol is allowed to set up communication between camera and KRC4.But some official TPs are in need ,such as Ethernet KRL ,Proconos(netcom library is needed),visiontech(Only for Gige camera).
    2.For Cognex Smart camera(Insight series), there are 2 ways to set up communication -Field bus or Ethernet(TCP/IP),so more options are suitable for this.
    a.Ethernet:In this way, you have to know the native command in Cognex documents.So Ethernet KRL/Proconos/VisionCom can fit this case.The only thing you have to take care of is to know the native command, in fact , this is using telnet comamnds.
    b.Field bus: Without any gateway, Both support Profinet and Ethernet/IP .As of this ,these 2 points need to be aware of :
    -Big/little endian problem
    -IS56XX/IS7xxx: the PN/EIP test is successful ;IS57XX/IS8xxx: The PN test failed(2017/04/14)
    May these information helps you!

Kind Regards
    Andrew

• Hello Andrew,
    could you share little bit of yours procedure connection for Cognex Smart camera(Insight series)?
    A was lookign for VisioCOM 2.0 but without success.

I added the Cognex smart-cam profinet at workvisual. But I do not still have a connection to the camera.

Thank you. Tomas

• [size=2]what do you mean exactly by "looking for without success"? there is nothing to look for, for KUKA products you need to contact KUKA.[/size]
    [size=2]it's not just lying by the side of the road or sold in home depot or grocery store... :waffen100: [/size]

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello Tomas,
    Sorry for my late response. So far i have no idea what wrong exactly is with your vision communication.As i do not appears her that often, you can drop me a line with my email: Andrew.zq.wang@outlook.com.

Regards
    Andrew

Advertising from our partners