strange error on smart pad

• hello to all,

i recently updated kss 8.2.X to 8.3.14.
    everything is update, and i even update the WOV file on kuka robot.
    but now i getting strange message on my smart pad:

aktualisierung wird durchgefuhrt...
    bitte smartpad nicht abstecken

i tried to run setup again from the d drive, but getting this message again.
    according to google translate, the smartpad is updating itself and i should not disconnect it, it was plugged 24 hours, with no diffrance.
    if someone knows how to solved it, it will be great, since kuka will be at work only tommrow and i have it since friday :wallbash:

• that is fine, just let it finish upgrade...

smartPad is intelligent device running WinCE, it has its own firmware but - it must match KSS on controller.
    when you connect smartPad with different version to controller, it gets automatic upgrade/downgrade so it matches KSS.
    this only takes about a minute but as the message tells, do not unplug or power down during upgrade.
    if you manage to kill it during transfer of critical component (such as bootsector etc), you will end up with a brick, that must be sent back for repair.

just let it finish its job...
    if for some reason operation does not complete as planed, you may have to unplug it to retry but... before you do that, make sure to give it few minutes.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• dear panic,

i gave it 24hours, and still i have this message.
    i see the robot hmi, and a few second after, i get this strange screen.
    should i make reinstall of the kss, so it will make again the installtion of the firmware??

i upgraded from kss8.2 to 8.3, and since 8.2 is xp and 8.3 is windows 7, i think something went wrong

• how come you are doing upgrade yourself? do you have license? this should be done by service tech, he should check and upgrade firmware etc.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• i got from kuka two files,
    KSS 8.2.27 and kss 8.3.14
    i like the 8.3.14 better, since i can define the tool and base with the workVisual

the two files contains, image files and setup files.
    kuka tech instructed me how to upgrade the system.

all worked great, i even created a new WOV from scratch, add the component and uploaded it to the robot.
    but saddenly, i got this strange error, and i see the screen on the smartpad, and few seconds later it's move to upgrade.
    i think there is a process stucked there :wallbash:

• If the KSS version you had before was very old, then the automatic update doesn't work.
    You have to copy files from C:\KRC\Smartpad\Application from the controller to NAND_FLASH on Smartpad (Inside windows CE HMI).

You have use the usb-port on the backside of the smartpad to kill the KUKA HMI and then insert a usb-drive with the files from the controller.

• 1) Test this smartPAD on any other system if you have running on 8.2.X.

2) What is version of your SmartPAD, it should be quite old.

3) You need to check compatibility of SmartPAD when you upgrade from 8.2.X to 8.3.x, known issues occur when you upgrade directly from such a low to high version.

4) Your SmartPAD can be damaged, you need a new one.

• Hello,

Does anyone have a detailed description of how to fix a stuck Smartpad update? I see a few posts up Optimus gives a procedure but I don't understand the phrase about using the USB port to kill the HMI. Any help on this procedure would be great. Thanks!

Advertising from our partners