Communicating between a UR and a Fanuc Machining Center

• It should be similar to most CNC machines, it should only require a few digital I/O's. I would recommend hard-wiring the two together using digital signals. As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be difficult setting up communication to a Fanuc CNC. Most installations with robots and CNC machines, are usually controlled via digital I/Os. Fanuc CNC distributors or usually the machine operators have knowledge of the machine program, how it is organized, which signals are required/available, etc.The important thing is to figure out which signals to use, what order to set them, etc. Hope this helps you get started!

• I connected a Mazak CNC (has a Mitsubishi control). I 'd definitely recommend you get the customer to buy the robot interface for the Fanuc controller.
    It exposes all the I/O you'd need (such as E-stop, axis inhibit, auto-door open/close) and some other functions that protect the robot from any unwanted move (axis or door or spindle).
    Not sure how much it would cost but expect between US$ 2,400 (for a current Haas CNC) to $8,000 for a 10 yr old Mazak CNC. Plus the factory tech to install it.
    It also comes with a bunch of extra M-codes (typically 4 input, 4 output, at least) and associated relays that allow you to program the robot call via M-codes. Bi-directional communication via NC program. Again, makes your life a lot easier.
    Some CNCs have spare M-codes that trigger relays but usually not often.

It makes your life a lot easier!
    And it adds safety factors that you cannot get through hardwiring.
    I would be very reluctant to connect a robot w/o that interface.
    I sell CNC programming software so I see a lot of CNC, and they are not simple machines!

Add automatic door (you may be able to get away with either building your own automatic door opener-like i did) unless the robot can open the door by itself.
    The robot can also press buttons, such as 'cycle start', 'chuck open/close' (on a lathe).
    You'll need some sort of automatic workholding device: on a lathe, usually a hydraulic chuck if so equipped, on a mill, that's a whole other story.

It is not easy.
    You'll see on the UR youtube channel, the CNC tending applications, there's a pneumatic vise on the mills or a hydraulic chuck on the lathes.
    There's also a door-opener (robot or internal pneumatic cylinder).
    Hope this helps.

• Hi Everyone,
    I had recently made interfacing with Fanuc Machine.
    We need following Digital I/O for Machine Tending App. & some M codes need to enter into machine for Manual & robot options & double acting pneumatic cylinder for opening & closing the doors.
    I/O LIST FOR MACHINE & ROBOT INTERFACING

Signal from M/C To Robot
    Sr No
    1 M/C_ ChuckClamp
    2 M/C_ ChuckDeclamp
    3 M/C_ DoorOpen
    4 M/C_ Ready
    5 M/C_ Alarm
    6 M/C_0 Volts

Signal From Robot To M/C
    Sr No
    1 M/C_ ChuckClamp
    2 M/C_ ChuckDeClamp
    3 M/C_ CycleStart
    4 Robot_0 Volts

Note:- Ready means healthy Condition of M/C for Robot
    Note:- Alarm means Unhealthy Condition of M/C for Robot

• Thanks Shale, Was this a Fanuc Robodrill? do you have a video by any chance of the UR working with this machine if it's a robodrill. Thanks again.

Advertising from our partners