External axes info from Mada

• Hi robot pros,

i am new to this forum und i registered to ask u robot programmers about some general things i am not understanding from just looking at the KRL code/docu. I am working on a robot simulation program with a 3D View.

I know more or less the most important variables in the machine.dat concerning the external kinematics (correct me if i am wrong pls):

• $AXIS_TYPE: type of axis (linear, rotatory etc.)

• $RAT_MOT_AX: ratio between motor rotations and mm/deg moved (axis) - this tells me the mov. direction of the ext. axis (?) but i don't know whats $AXIS_DIR then.

• $SOFTN/P_END: limits of the axes

• $EX_AX_NUM: number of ext. axes

• $ET1-6_NAME: name of ext. kinematic system - this seems to be chosed randomly

• $EX_KIN: type of ext. kinematic system (base, robot root, free etc.)

• $ET1-6_AX: ext. axes E1-E6 used in the ext. kin. system

• $EX_AX_ASYNC: switches ext. axes to asynch. (1 to deac.) - this i've seen deac. only for servoGuns, i think it's done cause the they shouldn't be slowed down.

• Offsets of the ext. kinematics

My first question is: From these information i may be able to build the kinematic tree of the ext. axes. But is it also possible to find out explicitly from the machine.dat which ext. axis is actually used? (e.g. its a linear axis, servoGun or a turn table)

I know there are a lot more variables but i was not able to relate them to the ext. axis, i may miss the background knowledge for this. Best that could happen is that i can say: okey from variable X, Y with parameters A, B i can tell that it's a linear track with these parameters :icon_smile:

Is this somehow possible or does the kuka controller which is fed with the machine/robcore.dat sais: I don't care for the geometry, i only need to know the positions :eviltongue:

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience :smiling_face:

Greetings

• Hi,

I suggest reading the documentation "Configuration of Kinematic Systems" from KUKA. Probably it is already included in your Parts & Documentation DVD. I just checked and it answered all your questions.

Fubini

• Hi,

thanks for your answer, would be great if i had that documentation but unfortunately i dont seem to. I got only a DVD "Product Documenation & Spare Parts Lists" where only "KUKA System Software 8.2" and some other documenations are but not "Configuration of Kinematic Systems". Whats exactly is the name of the .pdf file or may u provide me that pdf file ?

Greetings

• I only have the german version ("KSS_83_configuration_of_kinematic_systems_de.pdf"). Unfortunatly by the explicit wish of KUKA we are no longer allowed to post any documentations here anyway. Hence, my suggestion ask KUKA for it.

Fubini

• Hi,

well since i am german it wouldn't be a problem :), but if KUKA forbidded posting it here it can't be helped, bummer :(. I will check if I can get it somewhere else then, thanks much for your help so far !

May I ask the name of the DVD containing that documenation?

Greetings

• I dont know the exact DVDs name. I just happened to be finding it looking in my locally available documentations. But usually all documentation is included in the beforehand mentioned "Product Documenation & Spare Parts Lists". Maybe this document did not exist for releases prior V8.3.

Fubini

• Hi,

in my DVD there exist only folders C0 - C5, so i am missing pretty much it seems. However, I got the document now and will check it if i get time.

Though I would appreciate it if someone can give me any information regarding my question, since I may not able to find all answers from the document. As I mentioned I am not trying to program a machine.dat, which would be the normal case, but trying to generate something from it's data.

Thanks for all so far

Advertising from our partners