Tell if a robot is simulated

• Is there any way to programmatically tell if a robot is simulated? Specifically via what the PMC can access? I am also interested in system variables that would indicate it as well.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• I don't know about PMC, but one way I can think of is by looking at the $MC_PATH system variable. Looks like this on my Roboguide controllers:

Code
    [*SYSTEM*]$MC_PATH  Storage: CMOS  Access: RW  : STRING[127] = 'C:\path\to\your\workcell\Robot_1\MC'

I can't verify now (not near a physical robot), but I'm sure it has a different value on a real controller.

I seem to remember there were some other variables (like amplifier firmware versions or similar) that were '123456789' in Roboguide, and had proper values on real controllers. I'll see if I can find them.

• That actually works out well, as that variable doesn't exist on a real robot. I can just check for the existence of that variable with a short Karel program.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• I seem to remember there were some other variables (like amplifier firmware versions or similar) that were '123456789' in Roboguide, and had proper values on real controllers. I'll see if I can find them.

Right, took a little longer, but this might also work. Real robot:

Code
    $SCR_GRP[1].$SV_CODE_ID Access: RO: STRING[9] = 'V22.01  '

Simulated robot:

Code
    $SCR_GRP[1].$SV_CODE_ID Access: RO: STRING[9] = '12345678'

There are probably others, but this was the one I (vaguely) remembered.

Perhaps this is easier to check in TP. Afaik you cannot check for existence of a system variable in TP programs, can you?

Advertising from our partners