Linear Servo Float

• Controller: DX100
    Robot: MS80

I was asked to do some testing with the servo float option. We have a lab robot with it turned on, but it doesn't seem to be setup properly. Before testing I read the manual, registered tool weight, and verified the ARM Control settings. It allows the robot to float, but without control of any particular direction. I tried it with base, robot, tool, and user frame coordinates; nothing made a difference. As soon as I enable any direction of movement, I can move it anywhere. The tool orientation on/off works, but no control of direction.

I searched for detailed setup information, but seemed to only get horror stories. I am being asked to investigate this for robots we have on order. It will be setup by Yaskawa for those robots, if we decide to use it. I just want to do any initial testing I can using our lab robot. Any help/experience will be appreciated. Thanks.

• The horror stories are people who turned on the parameter but did not know there are 25 or so more parameters that are specific to the robot model. Without these other parameters adjusted, the arm turns into a servo paint shaker and will destroy itself.

What is the problem you are having? I didn't understand from your description. When servo float is active the arm can be moved around manually. An alarm will occur if the external force exceeds what is defined in the condition file.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• The test job I setup looks like:

MOVJ C00000 VJ=5.00
    FLOATON LFL#(1)
    TIMER T=5.00
    FLOATOF
    MOVL C00001 V=150.0

The position of the robot is as shown in the attached image; nearly straight out in Y+, attempting to float linearly in X+.

The second attached image of a screenshot from the manual shows the linear servo float condition file. If I enable any direction- X, Y, or Z- the robot behaves just the same. I am able to move the S, L, or U axes, however, the Tool Orientation option is functional. The robot does not drift, and only moves when I move it.

I did test Link Servo Float also: S worked as expected, able to adjust the percentage of max torque. L & U at the minimum of 30% were too difficult for me to influence.

I assume one of the necessary parameters is not correct, but I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation and may be able to share some insight.

Advertising from our partners