JOpenShowVar: a Java open-source cross-platform communication interface

• Hi,

At Aalesund University College, based on OpenShowVar and thanks to the collaboration with Massimiliano Fago, we just released JOpenShowVar.

JOpenShowVar is a Java open-source cross-platform communication interface to Kuka robots that allows for reading and writing variables and data structures of the controlled manipulators. This interface is compatible with all Kuka robots that use KR C4 and previous versions, and runs as a client on a remote machine (computer) connected with the Kuka controller via TCP/IP. It is possible to use JOpenShowVar with various different applications, making it possible to use a variety of input devices and to develop new control methods. JOpenShowVar is meant to be used by students and researchers and it is available on the Internet under a Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) license at https://github.com/aauc-mechlab/jopenshowvar, along with all the documentation and some demo videos.

We will be more than happy if you guys would have a look and give us some feedbacks.

• Did not try it yet just reading usage description:

KUKAVARPROXY must firstly be installed on the KUKA SmartPad (copy paste the folder to somewhere in the windows environment -> run KUKAVARPROXY.exe)

You cannot install files on SmartPad. SmartPad computer is based on WinCE and as far as I know you will not be able to execute any files on it unless they are not "signed".

I guess what you mean is to execute KUKAVARPROXY on KRC4 PC (These runs WinXPembedded or WES7)

Thx for the app. I will test it sometime next month :respect:

• You cannot install files on SmartPad. SmartPad computer is based on WinCE and as far as I know you will not be able to execute any files on it unless they are not "signed".

I guess what you mean is to execute KUKAVARPROXY on KRC4 PC (These runs WinXPembedded or WES7)

As I wrote the usage description; I can answer that. What I meant was that the KUKAVARPROXY folder has to be copied over into the WinXP environment on the SmartPad. Simply dubbleclicking the .exe file inside the folder will start the KukaVarProxy TCP/IP server in which JOpenShowVar connects to.

Is it similar to RSI?
    JOpenShowVar allows you to write to and read from global variables that is defined in the KUKA controller. Since it is written in Java, you can do this from an desktop application or even an Android device.
    No XML is required either. An example is given in the git readme file.

However, JOpenShowVar cannot guarantee real time access. If you need that use RSI.

Edited once, last by laht ().

• It would be great to have access to documentation on the message structure, and how KUKAVARPROXY interacts with the Kuka API. I'd like to work on porting this functionality to Python. I have already made good headway in implementing the client, but not yet the server application.

• Hello all, this is my first post.

filipposanfilippo,
    Firstly, I would like to say nice work on JOpenShowVar! Just tested it out on a KR C2 with the test console program and it worked nicely. Similarly to empireryan, I am interested in porting this to C++. I have essentially no experience with Java, but would it be possible to provide bindings in other languages from your source? I've done C++ to Python and vice versa but I don't know how feasible this is between Java and C++. Anyways, I will post a link to the ported code here once I get some basic examples working.

empireryan,
    For details on the message structure you should check out their ICIA paper Section IIIA:
    http://www.filipposanfilippo.i…erface-to-kuka-robots.pdf

You can also more or less deduce this from the source code:
    https://github.com/aauc-mechla…com/Request.java#L98-L175

Advertising from our partners