File Backup / Controller image / file management / Drive

• Ouf!!! I try to understand how the files, drives, backups work on FANUC... So here a couple of questions :

#1 - Is it correct to say that "File backup" ("backup ll of above") makes copy of :
    - TP prog
    - System config (io, frame, ...)
    - System variable ($MCR.blablabla)....
    - Almost all file visible via the Teach pendant
    But not the following
    - option install on the robot (like IRVISION, ETHERNET, ...)

#2 - Is it correct to say that "Controller image" makes copy of :
    - EVERYTHING!!!!

#3 - If I have to robot (same model) can I restore the image of the robot "A" on the robot "B". I understand that I will need to do a mastering.

#4 - What is the diffence between (and the principal utillity) of all these drives:
    - FROM disk (FR:)
    - Backup (FRA:)
    - RAM Disk (RD:)
    - Mem Card (MC:) (okay this one i understand)
    - Mem Device (MD:)
    - Console (CONS:)
    - USB on TP (UT1:) (okay this one i understand)
    - SRAM (i see that in the fanuc documentation)
    - DRAM (i see that in the fanuc documentation)

#5 - What does a INITIAL START?
    Do I will lost my options?
    If I restore a controller image after a INITIAL START, i'm up and running after that?

#6 - "image backup" is the same that "controller backup" ?

#7 - In the progname list ("select button" on TP) I lost the ??file/prog?? "IVRBKLSH" on the robot "A", but I still have it on the robot "B". I try to do a "save as" on this prog (from Robot "B") but i got the error TPIF-047Invalid program is selected.
    File backup doesn't take this file...
    Via FTp, i can see this file
    The detail of the prog is :
    Creation Date : 20-Apr-2009
    Modification Date : 20-Apr-2009
    Copy source :
    PRODUCT\CVCCRG\IRVBKLSK.PC
    Positions : FALSE SIZE : 851Byte
    WHERE IS THIS FILE...
    What is the copy source ?

#8 - I found a memory card in a PCMCIA adapter with the label "FANUC" on it and the number of my robot... what is this memory card for?... it have a lot of file on it... I think is ship by FANUC at the same time of the robot... can I get something interresting from this... here a exemple of the content :
    Config <DIR>
    core6 <DIR>
    plp <DIR>
    product <DIR>
    tool <DIR>
    update <DIR>
    cg7203_#.ld0 (# : from 0 to 7)
    cg7206_#.ld0 (# : from 0 to 7)
    cgtprom#.ld0 (# : from 0 to 7)
    cold1.com
    cold2.com
    control1.com
    control2.com
    control3.com
    license.date
    keyfile.dat
    media.dat
    menu.com
    orderfil.dat
    sysmast.sv

In the update <DIR>
    about 298 <DIR> with name like
    fp10333x <DIR>
    p34444x <DIR>
    and in each <DIR> you have 4 files
    ap.com
    del.com
    fp10333x.com
    fp10333x.tx

In the core6 <DIR>
    about 165 files with name like
    *.lv1
    *.lv2
    *.ld1
    *.ld2
    *.ld0

what is the utility of this memcard (compactflash) ????

I know there is a lot thing in this topic but I think it's all for the same subject? So when you will answer to this post, please specify the question number that you talk about.

Thanks a lot... I'm really confused about these subjects

• Wow you ask a lot of questions. And now my head hurts. :uglyhammer2:
    Ouf!!! I try to understand how the files, drives, backups work on FANUC... So here a couple of questions :

#1 - Is it correct to say that "File backup" ("backup ll of above") makes copy of :
    - TP prog
    - System config (io, frame, ...)
    - System variable ($MCR.blablabla)....
    - Almost all file visible via the Teach pendant
    But not the following
    Yes this is correct.

#2 - Is it correct to say that "Controller image" makes copy of :
    - EVERYTHING!!!!
    Yes this is correct.

#3 - If I have to robot (same model) can I restore the image of the robot "A" on the robot "B". I understand that I will need to do a mastering.
    Yes this is correct it is a good tool for diagnosing a software problem.

#4 - What is the diffence between (and the principal utillity) of all these drives:
    - FROM disk (FR:) Like the robots hard drive
    - Backup (FRA:) A section of FROM used to store backups I believe it is FROM
    - RAM Disk (RD:) ?
    - Mem Card (MC:) (okay this one i understand)
    - Mem Device (MD:) Internal Memory
    - Console (CONS:) External PC
    - USB on TP (UT1:) (okay this one i understand)
    - SRAM (i see that in the fanuc documentation)
    - DRAM (i see that in the fanuc documentation)

#5 - What does a INITIAL START? Initialize Start
    Do I will lost my options? NO
    It restores the robot to the state it was in after the software was first installed. Like new. You can restore all files and then you should be up and running.
    You would not need to restore an image after an INITY start. You would restore the image first and then you don’t need to init start the robot.
    The only time you would INIT start a unit is if you have a serious problem and you have tried everything else to fix it. Or if you bought a used robot or are going to recommision a unit and want to clear all of the settings and programs.

If I restore a controller image after a INITIAL START, i'm up and running after that?

#6 - "image backup" is the same that "controller backup" ? Controller back up is not supported after RJ3. Only use image backup.
    #7 - In the progname list ("select button" on TP) I lost the ??file/prog?? "IVRBKLSH" on the robot "A", but I still have it on the robot "B". I try to do a "save as" on this prog (from Robot "B") but i got the error TPIF-047Invalid program is selected.
    File backup doesn't take this file...
    Via FTp, i can see this file
    The detail of the prog is :
    Creation Date : 20-Apr-2009
    Modification Date : 20-Apr-2009
    Copy source :
    PRODUCT\CVCCRG\IRVBKLSK.PC
    Positions : FALSE SIZE : 851Byte
    WHERE IS THIS FILE...
    What is the copy source ?
    This is a Karel file. You can’t back it up. It will be saved in an image. Don’t worry about it.

#8 - I found a memory card in a PCMCIA adapter with the label "FANUC" on it and the number of my robot... what is this memory card for?... it have a lot of file on it... I think is ship by FANUC at the same time of the robot... can I get something interresting from this... here a exemple of the content :
    Config <DIR>
    core6 <DIR>
    plp <DIR>
    product <DIR>
    tool <DIR>
    update <DIR>
    cg7203_#.ld0 (# : from 0 to 7)
    cg7206_#.ld0 (# : from 0 to 7)
    cgtprom#.ld0 (# : from 0 to 7)
    cold1.com
    cold2.com
    control1.com
    control2.com
    control3.com
    license.date
    keyfile.dat
    media.dat
    menu.com
    orderfil.dat
    sysmast.sv

In the update <DIR>
    about 298 <DIR> with name like
    fp10333x <DIR>
    p34444x <DIR>
    and in each <DIR> you have 4 files
    ap.com
    del.com
    fp10333x.com
    fp10333x.tx

In the core6 <DIR>
    about 165 files with name like
    *.lv1
    *.lv2
    *.ld1
    *.ld2
    *.ld0

what is the utility of this memcard (compactflash) ?

This is the original software card. Lock it up and keep it safe. Do not write to the disc and do not copy it. It is invaluable if you need to reload software.
    I know there is a lot thing in this topic but I think it's all for the same subject? So when you will answer to this post, please specify the question number that you talk about.

Thanks a lot... I'm really confused about these subjects

Edited once, last by Racermike123 ().

• Thanks Racermike123,

#4 - do you have information about
    - SRAM
    - DRAM

#5 - So if I initialstart my controller, it will by like I bought it? So if someone install option after that, these options will need to be reinstall? It that correct?

#6 - When you say "Controller back up is not supported after RJ3" did you mean :
    a) the menu to do this is not present
    b) the menu to do this is present but the restore doesn't work

-But I suppose it's the same thing ("Controller backup" vs "Image backup")

-And what do you mean by RJ3... is it a controller model?

#7 - You say that "This is a Karel file"
    So we can't do a "save as" on karel file.... this is curious.... no?!?!
    Is it for a couple of "special PC file or for all PC file...
    PC file is the "compile" file of a KL file?

-You say that "It will be saved in an image" (I suppose an "image backup" you mean)
    Ok, great.... so if I want to bright it on my other robot I will need to :
    file backup robot_A
    image backup robot_B
    restore robot_A with the image backup of robot_B
    restore file backup of the robot_A on robot_A

-You say that "Don’t worry about it"
    Yeah you probably right, but this file (i think) as something to do with the IRVISION option... so I prefered to get it on the both robot

#8 - you say "This is the original software card. Lock it up and keep it safe."
    Ok... but how to use it... how do I reinstall the software

By "software" you mean all the stuff in the controller (just like I received the robot... like new)?

And what is the difference between reinstall the software and just doing a factory reset (initial start)

-you say "Do not write to the disc and do not copy it. It is invaluable if you need to reload software."
    hummmm..... don't tell me that it as hidden files or secret cluster structure that prevent the copy of this card....
    I explain you something and tell my if i'm screwed :
    Just a couple of days before i'm interrested by the backup of the robot, someone on my team need a compactflash card to do something on another process... He saw the memcard of the robot, take it, copy all the file on his PC desktop, erase all the file (i think he doesn't format it) of the CF card, do what he need to do, and put back all the original files on the CF card.... do I need to break the legs of this guy :baseball: ?

Thanks a lot for these answers. It's really appreciate

PS : soon I will open another subject about the "option pack".... I hope you will need me on this too...

• Thanks Racermike123,

#4 - do you have information about
    - SRAM SRAM and FROM are on the same chipset
    - DRAM is on the CPU
    Fanuc changes the usage of these components so I need to know what controller you have. RJ3iB, R30iA or R30iB
    Basically SRAM is where your TP programs and stuff are. and DRAM is the Functional RAM the CPU uses. I can be more specific when I know what controller you have.

#5 - So if I initialstart my controller, it will by like I bought it? So if someone install option after that, these options will need to be reinstall? It that correct?

No! If you install an option, the only way it gets removed is if you uninstall it.

#6 - When you say "Controller back up is not supported after RJ3" did you mean :
    a) the menu to do this is not present
    b) the menu to do this is present but the restore doesn't work
    B but it is not like an image it looks more like the original software.
    -But I suppose it's the same thing ("Controller backup" vs "Image backup")

-And what do you mean by RJ3... is it a controller model? Yes

#7 - You say that "This is a Karel file"
    So we can't do a "save as" on karel file.... this is curious.... no?!?! Nope
    Is it for a couple of "special PC file or for all PC file... All
    PC file is the "compile" file of a KL file? Yes P code it’s called.
    This file appears to be from the original software from Fanuc I believe it used in backlash compensation.
    -You say that "It will be saved in an image" (I suppose an "image backup" you mean)
    Ok, great.... so if I want to bright it on my other robot I will need to :
    file backup robot_A
    image backup robot_B
    restore robot_A with the image backup of robot_B
    restore file backup of the robot_A on robot_A
    I wouldn’t spend any time doing this. If this file is needed you will get an error telling you it is missing.
    -You say that "Don’t worry about it"
    Yeah you probably right, but this file (i think) as something to do with the IRVISION option... so I prefered to get it on the both robot

#8 - you say "This is the original software card. Lock it up and keep it safe."
    Ok... but how to use it... how do I reinstall the software
    You would load the software during a BMON start. the same place you restore an image.
    By "software" you mean all the stuff in the controller (just like I received the robot... like new)? Yes

And what is the difference between reinstall the software and just doing a factory reset (initial start)
    If the CPU fails and you don’t have an Image back up you would need the Fanuc software disc. -you say "Do not write to the disc and do not copy it. It is invaluable if you need to reload software."
    It is worth $5,000 to $15,000 depending on what options are on it.

hummmm..... don't tell me that it as hidden files or secret cluster structure that prevent the copy of this card.... No but if you back up the robot to it it will be useless.
    I explain you something and tell my if i'm screwed :
    Just a couple of days before i'm interrested by the backup of the robot, someone on my team need a compactflash card to do something on another process... He saw the memcard of the robot, take it, copy all the file on his PC desktop, erase all the file (i think he doesn't format it) of the CF card, do what he need to do, and put back all the original files on the CF card.... do I need to break the legs of this guy ?
    Put the files back on it and then lock it up it will be OK.

Thanks a lot for these answers. It's really appreciate

PS : soon I will open another subject about the "option pack".... I hope you will need me on this too...

• WOW... that's a lot of VERY good information!!!! Thanks!!!!

#4 - I have a R30iA...so if you have more hing to say about it, i'm interrested

#5 - So if I understand, when the option is installed, it's there forever until :
    - you unsintall it
    - you do a "software restore" via the CF card (in case if the option is install after the shipping of the robot)
    - If I do a "Controller backup", after this I install a new option and after this I do a "controller restore".... the new option still there?!?!

#6 - Can you just explain a little bit more the before and after RJ3 :
    - RJ3 and before :
    - Controller backup does this..........
    - Image backup does this...........
    -After RJ3 (so i think for R30iA, R30iB)
    - Controller backup does this..........
    - Image backup does this...........

-And if I made a "controller image" via BMON can I use it to restore or if I absolutly need to use the "Image backup" (found if TPButton_Menu/File/backup/imageBackup) (i have a R30iA)

#9 - And where did you get all these informations.... I don't have this into the FANUC's documentation I got!?!?!?!

##########################
    ##### Tests I want to do#########
    Tell me if there something "dangerous" or "wrong" about this (write OKAY!!! is it' correct)

###Test 1 - see if I can restore a "Controller image"
    Time_Stamp_01
    -Do a "controller backup" via BMON
    -Deleting some files (*.TP, important files system)
    -Changing some config (sysvar)
    -Do a "controller restore" via BMON
    Result : suppose to be like "time_stamp_01"

###Test 2 - see what the "init start" does
    Time_Stamp_02
    -Do a "init start" via BMON
    Result : suppose to be like new (when we received it) + all the option installed after (ex : ethernet link)
    Result : suppose to be like "time_stamp_02"

###Test 3 - See if i able the use the CF card to install the software (just to see if i need to break the legs of the guy...hehehe)
    Time_Stamp_03
    -Do a "All software installation(MC:)" via BMON
    Result : suppose to be like new (when we received it) minus all the option installed after (ex : ethernet link)
    -Try to install the option "ethernet link"
    Result : suppose to be like new + all the option installed after (ex : ethernet link)
    Result : suppose to be like "time_stamp_03"

###Test 4 - See if a "controller backup" of a robot "A" can be use on a robot "B" (both are R30iA and LR Mate-200iC)
    -On robot "A" : Do a "controller backup" via BMON
    -On robot "B" : Do a "controller restore" via BMON
    -On robot "B" : Do a mastering of the axis
    Result : Robot "A" and "B" will be identical

• WOW... that's a lot of VERY good information!!!! Thanks!!!!

#4 - I have a R30iA...so if you have more hing to say about it, i'm interested

CMOS is SRAM

#5 - So if I understand, when the option is installed, it's there forever until :
    - you unsintall it YES

- you do a "software restore" via the CF card (in case if the option is install after the shipping of the robot) I’m not sure what you mean here.
    If you install an option after the software is loaded you will have to use an image backup
    to restore it or load the option again.

- If I do a "Controller backup", IMAGE BACKUP, after this I install a new option and after this I do a "controller restore".... the new option still there?!?! yes

#6 - Can you just explain a little bit more the before and after RJ3 :
    - RJ3 and before :
    - Controller backup does this....... backs up everything, but took a long time
    - Image backup does this........... backs up everything, new for RJ3
    -After RJ3 (so i think for R30iA, R30iB)
    - Controller backup does this.......... not supported
    - Image backup does this........... backs up everything

-And if I made a "controller image" via BMON can I use it to restore or if I absolutly need to use the "Image backup" (found if TPButton_Menu/File/backup/imageBackup) (i have a R30iA)

#9 - And where did you get all these informations.... I don't have this into the FANUC's documentation I got!?!?!?!
    Handling tool CD and 15 years working for Fanuc

##### Tests I want to do#########
    Tell me if there something "dangerous" or "wrong" about this (write OKAY!!! is it' correct)
    Any time you delete files or change settings you are taking a risk. Even with the proper back ups and care.
    I WOULD NOT PERFORM AN INIT START. NOR WOULD I CHANGE ANY SETTINGS OR DELETE ANY FILES. SOMETHING COULD GO WRONG.
    If you want to practice file manipulation;
    create a teach pendant program to use.
    perform an all files back up
    delete the teach pendant program
    and restore that program from your all files back up.

I crossed out things I think are to risky

###Test 1 - see if I can restore a "Controller image"
    Time_Stamp_01
    -Do a "Image backup" via BMON
    -Deleting some files (*.TP, important files system) only the one you made
    -
    -Do a "Image restore" via BMON
    Result : suppose to be like "time_stamp_01"

###Test 4 - See if a "controller backup" of a robot "A" can be use on a robot "B" (both are R30iA and LR Mate-200iC)
    -On robot "A" : Do a "Image backup" via BMON do both robots
    -On robot "B" : Do a " Image restore" via BMON
    -On robot "B" : Do a mastering of the axis
    Result : Robot "A" and "B" will be identical

• Hi,

I know how to save the tool frame i teach on the USB stick. But can someone tell me the steps to load it to the TP?

Thank You,
    Sid

• The file framevars.sv and sysvars.sv contain frame data.
    You can reload them under a controlled start.
    Load these two files on a usb drive, controlled start the robot and then load them from the file menu.
    Then cold start thee robot when you are done.

• Hi, So basically when I control start the robot and go to file, set the UTI to USB and open the dir and click on the sysvars.sv and press load, then it gets loaded I think. but when i do that for framevars.sv it shows variable cannot be accessed. Could you tell me where am I going wrong?

• Ok figured out. So basically when I control start I can load the sysvar.sv from the USB to the disk but it cannot access framevars.SV
    So when I cold start I can now load the framevars.SV from USB to the disk and it works. thanks a lot for your help.

Advertising from our partners