Kuka installed in their back garden garage?

• Hi,
    Has anyone installed a kuka robot in their back garden garage?.If I plan to setup a workshop in my garage is it possible to have 400V 3 phase in that garage room?

• Hi,

Which model robot have you got?

Technical data KRC2 controller.

Standard rated supply voltage acc.
    to DIN/IEC 38
    AC 3x400 V...AC 3x415 V

Permissible tolerance of rated voltage
    400 V -10%...415 V +10%

Mains frequency 49...61 Hz

Rated power input
    - Standard robot
    7.3 kVA, see rating plate

Rated power input
    - Heavy-duty robot
    - Palletizer
    - Press-to-press robot
    13.5 kVA, see rating plate

Also you must have the protective ground according industrial standard. Impedance - 2 Om.

• Is a small garage so I guess it can only fit KR30 or below that payload, but the question here is: is it possible to get 3 phase power in a residential area?

• Obtaining 3phase power from the grid in a residential area may be possible, but depends upon the local utility. And is likely to be expensive. An easier solution is probably to obtain an inverter. Several types exist, but in general these devices take single-phase power input and generate 3phase power output. If your mains (you are in the UK, correct?) are 240VAC, an additional transformer up to 400V may be necessary, although I'm sure there are some phase inverters that also perform the voltage upconversion. Alternatively, if you robot comes with the KUKA transformer, it may be possible to change the taps to run on ~200VAC 3-phase.

The thing to look out for is current requirements. Going from single-phase to 3phase will increase your input current demand by (If I recall correctly) about 1.7. Converting from 220VAC to 440VAC will double the mains current demand again. So to provide 10A to the robot could require (worst case) nearly as much as 40A on your single-phase 220VAC mains supply.

There's a fair amount of demand out there for people who want to run 3phase equipment (usually machine shop tools) in their garage/basement shop. Mostly that demand is for 220V 3-phase, but converting 220VAC to 440VAC is not a serious or expensive issue (especially if you do it at the single-phase end). One old trick I know of is to buy a 3phase industrial motor, and wire it in parallel with the single-phase mains and the 3-phase load, using a capacitor across two legs. The motor spins in an unloaded condition, and effectively acts simultaneously as a single-phase motor and a 3-phase generator. However, I'm told that these days it is less expensive to buy a solid-state inverter, many of which are available on the open market for exactly this purpose.

• Hi,
    Has anyone installed a kuka robot in their back garden garage?.If I plan to setup a workshop in my garage is it possible to have 400V 3 phase in that garage room?

Depends where you live. In North America households normally get single phase (2x120VAC). In Europe, many get 3-phase and the voltage is already correct.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• It will be 230v 50Hz single phase. Depending on the age of the house it will be either 60 or 100A rated.

If you are really lucky and the house had been used as a workshop etc it may have a 400v 50Hz 3 phase feed...But that is unlikely.

Sent using Tapatalk 4

Advertising from our partners