KRC4 RSI issue: MDR Device Name Unknown

• Well, I've got a stumper. I'm using Force-Torque control on 3 Quantec KR210s running KSS 8.2, with identical hardware and software configurations. But on one robot, whenever I try to activate FTC using FTC_ONBREAK_IF, I get the following error: 2145 MDR - Device Name Unknown.

Unfortunately, all my prior experience with FTC and RSI predates the KRC4, so I'm kind of flying blind here. I've done all the obvious things, like comparing the RSI-Visual and FTC configurations between this robot and the two working robots. So far, I don't find any differences.
    Problem is, I don't really know what the error message means. I'm assuming it's got something to do with the creation and naming of RSI objects, but that's an awfully vague place to start. I'm hoping someone else has tripped over this before and can give me a hint as to where to concentrate my efforts.

• there is service case for same message but with different message number (KSS02848 MDR Device Name Unknown):

a) duplicate or incorrect BrkeTestDrv.o
    1.Check driver calls in motiondrv.ini, path C:\KRC\Roboter\init, in the section [OTHER_DRIVER] BRKTST, BrakeTestDrv.o.
    2.Delete entries in the [TOOL_DRIVER] section.

b) Brake test is deactivated
    1.Open the file motiondrv.ini in C:\KRC\ROBOTER\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers.
    2.Check whether the driver BRAKE_TEST,mdrBrakeTest.o is deactivated (remove semicolon).
    ;BRAKE_TEST,mdrBrakeTest.o
    3.Perform cold start

c) Missing entries in the RSI configuration

The following entries must be present in the file C:\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\motiondrv.ini:

[EMI_DRIVER]STANDSTILL_RSI,mdrStandStill.oThe following entries must be present in the file C:\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\mdrStandStill.ini:

[STANDSTILL_RSI]MOTION_CLASS=CARTESIAN;WAIT_STOP_ACK=FALSEMON_RAMP_STOP=5000MON_EM_STOP=1000

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I have had this problem.

This is happend after a merge wrong or some bug of WoV, so some files didn't work. The error happening when the test break had was call.

The procedure that panic mode make all sense, but in my case I did a merge with new backup and old(working ok) and I paid attention to select the right files to breaktest. The folder MotionDrivers.

To be more especific, take a look in motiondrv on the folder
    C\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\

You can find something like this, and you can compare between the robots.

[OTHER_DRIVER]
    OLDC,loadDataDevice.o

or

[OTHER_DRIVER]
    BRAKE_TEST,mdrBrakeTest.o

OLDC,loadDataDevice.o

• Dear Skyfire,

I did not know if diging out this topic was the best way to do.
    However, I have exactly the same issue with KSS 02848.

My robot is a KR 300 KSS 8.3

The error seems related to the RSI block RSIMovecorr(). MDR - Device Name Unknown RSI_Movecorr()

Did you find a solution ?

I tried everything proposed by panic mode with several combination however it did not change anything to the result.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Alexandre

d) defective driver - exchange missing or incorrect file

e) driver for brake test commented out:
    edit ini file and perform cold start with "reload files"
    C:\KRC\ROBOTER\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\motiondrv.ini

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you panic mode.

If I summaries,

a) duplicate or incorrect BrkeTestDrv.o
    1.Check driver calls in motiondrv.ini, path C:\KRC\Roboter\init, in the section [OTHER_DRIVER] BRKTST, BrakeTestDrv.o.
    2.Delete entries in the [TOOL_DRIVER] section.

=> I do not have the folder C:\KRC\Roboter\init on the KR 300 KSS 8.3 robot, expert mode is on.

b) Brake test is deactivated
    1.Open the file motiondrv.ini in C:\KRC\ROBOTER\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers.
    2.Check whether the driver BRAKE_TEST,mdrBrakeTest.o is deactivated (remove semicolon).
    3.Perform cold start

We tried activating the brake test, the brake test is OK, we just had an issue with our E1 external axis, a rail.
    So, we deactivated brake test for external axis, then brake test is OK.

With this robot, we always work with break test deactivated. Does it have to be activated for FTC to work ?

c) Missing entries in the RSI configuration

The following entries must be present in the file C:\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\motiondrv.ini:

[EMI_DRIVER]STANDSTILL_RSI,mdrStandStill.oThe following entries must be present in the file C:\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\mdrStandStill.ini:

[STANDSTILL_RSI]MOTION_CLASS=CARTESIAN;WAIT_STOP_ACK=FALSEMON_RAMP_STOP=5000MON_EM_STOP=1000

We added the missing configuration lines,
    the previous line was present however with a different section name (I do not remember it, I will see this on monday).
    We tried to change the section name, add a new section with this name, have both in the same file, all three cases failed.

d) defective driver - exchange missing or incorrect file

=> How to detect a driver is faulty ? and exchange files ? We should reload a new robot version from workvisual ?

e) driver for brake test commented out:
    edit ini file and perform cold start with "reload files"
    C:\KRC\ROBOTER\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\motiondrv.ini

At each step, we did a cold start with "reload files".

We joined Kuka-support for support, what they proposed to us is similar to what we tried following your advices.

Still the same error. I will get back to it on Monday. I'll keep you updated.
    Thanks again for the step by step, it saved us some time to try it before contacting Kuka.

Best Regards,
    Alex

• Hello again,

I post the solution here just in case anyone need it.
    In the file

C:\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\motiondrv.ini:

you should have :

[EMI_DRIVER]
    RSI_MOVECORR,mdrStandStill.o

Why, RSI_MOVECORR, because of the data already present in C:\KRC\Roboter\Config\User\Common\MotionDrivers\mdrStandStill.ini:

which is

[RSI_MOVECORR]
    MOTION_CLASS=CARTESIAN;
    WAIT_STOP_ACK=FALSE
    MON_RAMP_STOP=5000
    MON_EM_STOP=1000

The reason might be the version of FTC and/or RSI used.
    Changing RSI_MOVECORR by STANDSTILL_RSI does not work, the value might be used elsewhere.

KSS version is 8.3 and RSI is 8.3 too. (not 100% sure).

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Alex

• Hello, I've been having this same problem. I've been trying to control a KRC4 running KSS8.2 using ROS kuka_experimental package, which uses RSI. The problem originates when calling the RSI_MOVECORR() function, throwing up the "KSS02848 MDR Device Name Unknown" error.

Trying everything above hasn't changed the error code. My motiondrv,ini file and mdrStandStill.ini file originally looked like this.

motiondrv.ini

mdrStandStill.ini

Code
    [DEFAULT]
    MOTION_CLASS = CARTESIAN; Sampling mode PTP / CARTESIAN (default: PTP)
    WAIT_STOP_ACK = FALSE ; If FALSE, interpolation is immediately exited on KRC stop requests (default: FALSE)
    MON_RAMP_STOP = 5000  ; The time for external ramp stop acknowledgements ([ms], default 5sec)
    MON_EM_STOP   = 1000  ; The time for external emergency stop acknowledgements ([ms], default 1sec)

From my understanding, motiondrv.ini should contain "[EMI_DRIVER] RSI_MOVECORR,mdrStandStill.o", and mdrStandStill.ini should begin with [RSI_MOVECORR] instead of [DEFAULT].

But this does not fix the issue. Does this look correct? Is there anything else left to try? I've tried various combinations of the above advice but no luck so far :thinking_face:

Advertising from our partners