Workvisual project on newer KSS version

• I've a project which was on a system running 8.2.20.

I've tried to load it on an system running identical hardware, but which is running 8.2.22. It duly tells me it can't as it's a different version, which is fine but I can't work out how to change the version upwards.

Don't tell me I have to recreate the project from scratch??? :help:

• can you just change the version on your existing project by right clicking the controller in the tree and selecting "controller options" I think I ran into this, as WoV doesn't let you select 8.2.22 but you type it in actually in that firmware field.

• I did that in the end, created a new project and then just copied/pasted the programs/machine.dat/config.dat etc over.

The reason I asked was that I kept getting WoV doing silly things, i.e when mapping I/O it showed the robot had no outputs...but closing WoV and opening it again and they reappeared!
    Also it wouldn't give me the option to add the Beckoff module to make the KRC a Profibus slave, then after a few restarts of WoV again it did.

I hate WoV...to full of bugs for my liking....... :down:

• can you just change the version on your existing project by right clicking the controller in the tree and selecting "controller options" I think I ran into this, as WoV doesn't let you select 8.2.22 but you type it in actually in that firmware field.

Ah I didn't think of typing it in!

I'll give it a go and see if it allows you, it seems like it must be only a data field rather than actually doing anything then?

• ... resurrecting an ancient thread here.

I have a project form KSS version 8.6.4 ... and I want to put it on a new robot with KSS version 8.6.6
    I have the software Workvisual 6.0.5_Build0492 (Build time 08 October 2019)

At first I just wanted to do the IO mapping for the new project but the Fieldbusses show no IO-s. Nothing under PROFINET, Nothing under EM8905-1001 I/O-Modul. I could just see the digital inputs and outputs of the KRC.

That seemed weird... and I think this might be that the WorkVisual software needs to be updated... does it?

And I then probably also cannot Deploy an older project to the newer controller also, right?

Because this was my second thought... if I cannot change the current one, can I just deploy the old one to the new robot.

Most up to date WorkVisual is "KUKA.WorkVisual_V6.0.14_Build0654.zip"
    Modified: 12/04/2020 4:08PM

The software never tells me that something is too old or incompatible...

• when software stand is significantly different (different major version such as 8.2 and 8.3 or 8.5 etc.) then project need to be built from scratch. major version is the first two numbers as mentioned in READ FIRST.

when software stand differs only in minor version or build (8.5.7 - > 8.5.8) there is next to nothing to worry about. simply change KSS version in WoV (type it in, if nor listed) and deploy.

Watch out for bleeding edge software releases. they may have bugs that nobody is aware of. it is better to be cautious or stick with stable version.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• If a different WorkVisual Version has been used, it is possible that you get issues like that.

Extract your project right click on the wvs file and select information.

This will come up with project name, version, description, creation tool, modification tool and option packages.

I run in this issue where someone modified a project that has been created with V4 has been modified with V6 and till then V4 was pretty much useless.

• Hi,

When trying to deploy an older KSS version project I was able to see the new controller by manually changing the KSS version from 8.6.4 to 8.6.6. But this is where my progress stopped.

Trying to then deploy the project prompted a warning that the Controller name is different on the target and suggested to rename it. So I renamed my new controller to have the same name "kuka-noname"

Rebooted the controller and tried again.

Now it also has a problem with the CELL name of the project and the target.

And also Option "KUKA PROFINET S" cannot be downgraded.

I have attached an image of the conflicts.

I have never tried to deploy a project from a different robot. I have just taken a project from the controller, modified it and sent it back to the controller.

But if I had 10 copies of the same cell, it would make sense to do the work once and use the same project for all. Why do the cell and controller name have to match?

EDIT: I also tried to Export IO connections and import them on the new project... Resulted in "Error on import" !?

Something is messed up in the software. I take a the unaltered project from the new, fresh out of the box controller. Why would I be not able to see ANY addresses under PROFINET. Its impossible to map things together if one side is not showing anything.

EDIT2: Well... I uninstalled my WorkVisual 6.0.5 and installed Workvisual 6.0.14... Guess what. It works now!
    But... I don't know if others have the same issue with it... I still have to open the software two times for it to actually open up. Was the same also with version 6.0.5.

EDIT3: Ok.. so even editing the IO mapping manually and deploying the project back to the controller fails. When changing the IO-s and deploying... the first step is Code generation... and this thing says "Starting code generation" and then immediately "The code generation was cancelled" ... why was it cancelled... I certainly didn't cancel it. What is going on with this software?
    Wait...wait... KUKA.PROFINET S v 5.0.2 is not installed in WorkVisual... How do I install it? I think I had to import the corresponding GSD file. File ... Import GSD...

Ok... the one inside the installation folder doesn't cut it. I must find a newer one. I guess it was somewhere inside the controller itself.
    So it was the *.KOP file that I had to fish out of the controller. "KUKA.PROFINET S.KOP" and install in WorkVisual by going Extras > Option Package Management and press the rightmost PLUS sign "Add a new option package from a file"
    So finally I was able to complete the mapping.

I guess that using the Import/Export features for IO mapping and for files should be the best way to share content between robots. I didn't find TOOL and BASE in the Export options. How are these shared? Export Partitial Project ?

• Partial project bring TCP/Base data within the Robot element

But there is a big catch: If your robots are different, You will overwrite the machine data in the newer one, and things can go messy.

You can also overwrite the $config.dat of target robot with the standard one. But, again, things can be accidentally deleted.

I would recommend importing partial projects only to configure external buses, like ProfiNet or EthernetIP, and pickpoint other data, as TCP/BASES, LOAD_DATA, Program modules and so on.

• I use WoV only for configuring field bus, external axis and sometimes safety configuration. And always starting from the project of the correct robot.

All the other things I do with notepad++ / beyond compare on a seperate notebook or with the Smartpad.

All this things are not really working in WoV, or better to say: sometimes it works and sometimes not, so I always go the working way.:winking_face:

• I use WoV only for configuring field bus, external axis and sometimes safety configuration. And always starting from the project of the correct robot.

All the other things I do with notepad++ / beyond compare on a seperate notebook or with the Smartpad.

All this things are not really working in WoV, or better to say: sometimes it works and sometimes not, so I always go the working way.:winking_face:

Undocumented Features :smiling_face:

Advertising from our partners