Modbus - floating numbers

• I need to send some floating numbers (positions) to/from our TX200 with a CS8C controller using Modbus TCP. I have succesfully sent floating numbers FROM the controller to a PC, by setting the data type as "FLOAT". The PC receives this data as 2 words, which are then combined and converted into a single signed number. When I try to do the same in reverse however, the data is not received by the robot controller.

The program on the PC is written in LabVIEW, and I manually split the floating numbers into 2 WORDs for each number, then written to multipl registers. If I change the data type on the controller from "FLOAT" to "DWORD" (double word), then the data is transmitted fine. If necessary I'll write my own function to do the conversion from 2 WORDs to FLOAT, but would prefer to use the FLOAT type. Since the controller can send FLOAT numbers fine, I wonder whether I'm not using the write send command or the data's in the wrong format...?

Is there a documentation on Modbus for Staubli? I had a look on the Staubli tech support website, and there isn't much info on this topic.

Advertising from our partners