New Motosim user, XRC, UP 20 and external positioner question

• I'm a brand-new user of Motosim having never before seen the program in operation. I have studied the manual (but like a lot of Motoman manuals, I'd conclude the documentation leaves a lot to be desired).

We only have a few robots in our enterprise so this software is a fairly large investment and I want to be sure we get the most out of it. This brings me to my present question...

Our first targeted use of the software will be on doing various off-line changes to an XRC cell with UP-20 manipulator in a welding application. The cell is already up-and-running; Motosim will be used for re sequencing tasks and the like. I assume we can import our job(s) into Motosim and begin virtualization fairly quickly? Any pointers would be very helpful...

My major concern is the horizontal table positioner (external axis). The workpiece is presented to the robot and welding occurs (synchronized movement in some cases) on both sides of the fixture. This works well... but how do I get the external axis implemented in MotoSim?

The major problem is that I have no CAD data for this cell or the positioner. It was built by Tennesse-Rand in 2003 and has since been re-purposed for a new product. The manipulator has been moved from its original position as well.

It occurred to me that the controller is already aware of the external axis and is calibrated correctly. In other words it knows one of the dimensions I need to properly model the relationship(s) between the external axis/table and the manipulator. My question is... how do I develop a proper model of an already-built cell without as-built data? Is there a way to derive some of it using the controller's calibrations? is there a methodology for creating the proper measurements to model the positioner properly (ie its relationship to the manipulator)?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks...

John

• Hello John,

If you do buy MotoSIM please be sure to get MotoSIM EG VRC. The VRC (virtual robot controller) version of this software can take the ALLCMOS file of an existing robot and make the configuration in MotoSIM the same (external axis, jobs, TCP...).

However, this only gives you the robot data. No tool, no fixture... You can contact Motoman to get a model of most welding torches you can then import to your model. As for the cell and fixtures, you would have to start drawing.

Robodoc

• DO NOT get MotoSim EG-VRC. It does not support XRC. You want MotoSim EG.

Save jobs, tool.cnd, uframe.dat, rbcalib.dat, and the all.prm file. Copy these files into the robot folder in the MotoSim EG cell folder. Save. When you reopen the *.cel file the all.prm will be read. Under ROBOT, DATA SETTING, you can do the tcp based on your tool data. This tcp will show up as a blue frame that can be hidden or shown in the cad tree.

Also under DATA SETTING is ROBOT CALIBRATION. You can have MotoSim EG read the rbcalib.dat file and layout the robot to table relationship as it is in the real world. This will also show up as a blue frame. Primitive models can be attached to these frames. Also you can go to manufacturers websites and get models. Without a cad converter, MotoSim EG only supports two forms of Hoops files, two forms of Renderware files, and 3DS.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• If you have a positioner that moves while welding you will require to calibrate the robot and the positioner to obtain high accuracy (no touch-up). Contact Dynalog they are able to calibrate robot, tcp and the positioner. After calibration you will be able to run your motosim programs without touch-up

Advertising from our partners