S420iF with RJ2 and external axis

• Best thing I can tell you is to call Fanuc. 1-800-47-robot. Give them your robot F# and they can tell you if you have the right axis control module in you main PCB (From the factory). That is the first "BIG" step. If you only have a 6 axis module you will have to buy an 8 axis module to work with an extended axis. They are VERY expensive from Fanuc so try another place like "The Robot Company" out of Seville, Ohio. I bought 6 axis cards from them for as much as 1 from Fanuc.
    Then you will have to install you extended Axis controller, tie in the fiber optic comms cable, add your battery backup pack and start troubleshooting. One other thing. Make sure you do a controller image backup before you change anything. That way you have your core system files in case anything goes wrong or you want to put the robot back to original.
    These things are kind of a pain to get working but once they are its worth having that extra axis that is controled by the robot.

• dear Splicer480,

I did ask to italian Fanuc distributor to add linear axis ( rail ) to move my S420iF with 7 axis simultaneously, but they refuse the job because Rj2 is old!!
    Last solution is to implement index axis with external controller+engine and connect it to RJ2 trough profibus.
    But i'm not able to make this kind of connection :frowning_face:

Regards
    Guizzo

• The backplane pictured should support an aux axis board in the next open slot (A16B-2202-0820) for which you will need to install one A20B-2902-0070 daughter board for 1-2 extended axes. Install this hardware (along with pulse and power cables) and then load (probably need to purchase) the extended axis software option.

Advertising from our partners